Elizabeth's Kitchen Korner
God (and Caleb) have put Elizabeth in charge of providing the daily sustenance for our bodies so we may have the strength to serve the Lord. Below are a few of Elizabeth's most famous and fab-bu-luss recipes. Elizabeth's cooking has changed a great deal since we got the Food Channel on cable. Next week we will post the complete recipes and here is the list!
Tomato Clam Aspic (garnished with cheez its)
Hot and Spicy Squid
Risotto ala Kenenichi
Tomato Ice Cream
Thanksgiving Dinner Menu
Helpful Household Hints
1. Stuff a miniature marshmallow in the bottom of a sugar cone to prevent ice cream drips. **Great! I'd rather have marshmallow goo dripping down my arm any time.
2. Use a meat baster to "squeeze" your pancake batter onto the hot griddle and you'll get perfectly shaped pancakes every time. **Getting the batter out of the turkey first is the hard part!!
3. To keep potatoes from budding, place an apple in the bag with the potatoes. **Doesn't do much for the poor apple!!
4. To prevent egg shells from cracking, add a pinch of salt to the water before hard-boiling. **I've discovered that not tossing them in the pan from 10 feet away works well too.
5. Run your hands under cold water before pressing Rice Krispies treats in the pan and the marshmallow won't stick to your fingers. **Is that before or after you stuff it in the bottom of a sugar cone??
6. To get the most juice out of fresh lemons, bring them to room
temperature and roll them under your palm against the kitchen counter before squeezing. ** I usually just roll my lemons under a tree and call a tow truck.
7. To easily remove burnt on food from your skillet, simply add a drop or two of dish soap and enough water to cover bottom of pan, and bring to boil on stove-top. **I tried that, and three hours after dinner I was still belching bubbles!!
8. Spray your Tupperware with nonstick cooking spray before pouring in tomato-based sauces and there won't be any stains. **Is this before or after the party?
9. When a cake recipe calls for flouring the baking pan, use a bit of the dry cake mix instead and there won't be any white mess on the outside of the cake. ** Do this only when baking from scratch.
10. If you accidentally over-salt a dish while it's still cooking, drop in a peeled potato and it will absorb the excess salt for an instant "fix me up." ** If you have no potatos, gin and tonic makes a good "fix me up".
11. Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator and it will keep for weeks. ** Keep WHAT!?!?
12. Brush some beaten egg white over pie crust before baking to yield a
beautiful glossy finish. **That's silly. Who ever heard of baking egg white??
13. Place a slice of apple in hardened brown sugar to soften it. ** But I don't like soft apples!!
14. When boiling corn on the cob, add a pinch of sugar to help bring out the corn's natural sweetness. **...and the sugar's natural corniness.
15. To determine whether an egg is fresh, immerse it in a pan of cool, salted water. If it sinks, it is fresh, but if it rises to the surface, throw it away. **I tried that. Doug Doug spent days looking for his panty hose.
16. Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half and rub it on your forehead. The throbbing will go away. **If it doesn't, you won't notice the pain for the stinging in your eyes.
17. Don't throw out all that leftover wine: Freeze into ice cubes for future use in casseroles and sauces. **I prefer wine-cycles.
18. If you have a problem opening jars: Try using latex dishwashing gloves. They give a non-slip grip that makes opening jars easy. **...and safe!!
19. Potatoes will take food stains off your fingers. Just slice and rub raw potato on the stains and rinse with water. **...or learn how to use a fork.
20. To get rid of itch from mosquito bites, try applying soap on the area and you will experience instant relief. **Does that work for jock itch too?
21. Ants, ants, ants everywhere ... Well, they are said to never cross a
chalk line. So get your chalk out and draw a line on the floor or wherever ants tend to march. See for yourself. **Imagine what it does to flying ants!!
22. Use air-freshener to clean mirrors. It does a good job and better still, leaves a lovely smell to the shine. **I'll need to reflect on this one.
23. When you get a splinter, reach for the scotch tape before resorting to tweezers or a needle. Simply put the scotch tape over the splinter, then pull it off. Scotch tape removes most splinters painlessly and easily. **And red necks prefer duct tape.
24. Now look what you can do with Alka Seltzer: Clean a toilet. Drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets, wait twenty minutes, brush and flush. The citric acid and effervescent action clean vitreous china. Clean a vase. To remove a stain from the bottom of a glass vase or cruet, fill with water and drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets. Polish jewelry. Drop two Alka-Seltzer
tablets into a glass of water and immerse the jewelry for two minutes. Clean a thermos bottle. Fill the bottle with water, drop in four Alka-Seltzer tablets, and let soak for an hour (or longer, if necessary). Unclog a drain. Clear the sink drain by dropping three Alka-Seltzer tablets down the drain followed by a cup of Heinz White Vinegar. Wait a few minutes, then run the hot water. **Then go on-line and buy 100 shares in Alka-Seltzer stock.
"Hey! Wanna know the REAL skinny on Elizabeth? Click here"